Skyy D. Fisher
L.A. County Committee on School District Organization
Chairperson, Compton Unified School District Technology Committee
Board of Trustees
Skyy Fisher was first elected to the Compton Unified School Board of Trustees on
November 8, 2011. At the age of 28 years old, Skyy became the youngest member
elected to the Compton Unified School District’s Board of Trustees since the
conclusion of state receivership and the youngest African-American elected
official in Los Angeles County and Southern California.
A native of Compton, Skyy was born, reared, and educated in public schools and
is the proud product of Compton's educational system having matriculated through
Lynwood High School, Compton Community College, and California State University,
As a third generation resident of Compton, Skyy comes from a family steeped
education and community service.
Following in that tradition, Skyy has represented students, educational
professionals, union members and their respective families in neighborhoods
stretching from Compton to Washington, D.C.
A champion for educational equality and organized labor, Skyy has earned a
reputation as a passionate advocate who engages intricate issues on behalf of
students, union members, and their families.
Skyy began his community service as an early teen, volunteering with the Foster
and Kinship Care Education Program at Compton Community College. Skyy continues
to serve as a volunteer youth mentor.
Even though he is only 29, Skyy has held many memberships and elected/appointed
positions since embarking on journey in public service:
Skyy’s work experience includes:
- Member, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. (2004 Initiate of Epsilon Kappa Chapter)
- Chair – Los Angeles County Democratic Party (52nd Assembly District Delegation)
- Delegate, California State Democratic Party
- Founder/President – New Wave Democratic Club
- Member – Gardena Valley Democratic Club
- Vice Chair- Cal State Dominguez Hills Loker University Student Union
- Vice President of Operations- Cal State Dominguez Hills Associated Students Inc.
- Director of Student Services-Cal State Dominguez Hills Associated Students Inc.
- Public Affairs Commissioner-Cal State Dominguez Hills Associated Students Inc.
- Union Representative- American Federation of Teachers
- Executive Director- Hub City Arts Collective
- Senior Field Representative – California State Legislature
- Union Representative – Service Employees International Union- United Health Care Workers-West
- External Organizer – Service Employees International Union Local 721
- International Organizer – Service Employees International Union
- City Council Assistant- City of Compton